Canadian Citizens and/or Permanent Residents may sponsor their parents and grandparents to Canada as a Permanent Resident through this program.
Eligibility requirements to sponsor a parent or grandparent
- Be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Meet the minimum income requirements. Income of married couples can be included to calculate the income requirements.
- The sponsor and the sponsored person must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits the sponsor to provide financial support for the sponsored persons, if necessary. This agreement also states that the person becoming a permanent resident will make every effort to support himself or herself. Dependent children under age 22 do not have to sign this agreement. Quebec residents must sign an “undertaking” with the province of Quebec – a contract binding the sponsorship; and
- The sponsor must promise to provide financial support for the sponsored relative for a period of 20 years. This time period begins on the date the sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident.
Who isn’t eligible to sponsor a parent or grandparent
You may not be eligible to sponsor your parents and grandparents if you:
- Are in prison
- Defaulted on an element immigration loan (late or missed payments)
- Have declared bankruptcy and haven’t been released from it yet
- Received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
- Didn’t pay a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support
- Didn’t provide the financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past
- Were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence, depending on circumstances, such as:
- The nature of the offence
- How long ago it occurred
- Whether a record suspension (formerly called “pardons” in Canada) was issued
Contact us for assessment and more information
Get in touch with us about Parent & Grandparent Sponsorship
Get in touch with us
Get in touch with us
Fill up the form and our team will get back to you soon